This former brownfield was cleaned up beginning in 2011. The pollutants were removed – as well as kudzu, privet, and other invasives – and there is now a nice meadow/seasonal wetland area and a creekside trail. Zonolite Park is home to Nickel Bottom Community Garden and a pollinator garden.
Address (approximate): 1101 Zonolite Place NE, Atlanta, GA 30306
Cost of Admission: None
Approximate miles of trails: 1.5
Hours: 7:00am to sunset
Miles from downtown Atlanta: 5
MARTA directions: From Five Points, take the 16 to Briarcliff Rd NE @ Johnson Rd NE, then walk west on Zonolite Rd. Take the 2nd left on Zonolite Pl and continue to the end of the road.
Alternatively take the #6 from Inman Park/Reynoldstown or Lindbergh to Clifton Rd@Briarcliff Rd. Walk southwest on Briarcliff, take the first right on Zonolite Rd, and follow the directions above.
Parking: There is a lot at the trailhead on Zonolite Pl.
Trail surface: Some natural, some large gravel
Dogs allowed: Yes
Guidebook mentions: None
- Community garden
- Pollinator garden
- Strip mall at the corner of Briarcliff and Clifton includes a Kroger and several restaurants
- QuikTrip gas station on Briarcliff, 0.5 miles from the park entrance
- Floataway Cafe is adjacent to the park, but only open for dinner
For more photos, see my flickr album.
From around the web
Random eBird sightings from the last 30 days
Good to combine with:
- Daniel Johnson Nature Preserve and Herbert Taylor Park (15 min walk or 5 min bike)
- Peavine Creek Trails (post forthcoming)
Updated November 20, 2016, September 24, 2017, and May 27, 2018